Bush Construction completed the historical renovation of the Carnegie Library in Aledo, IL. Built in 1915-16, the landmark served generations of community members until it closed in 2019. Former residents, Crista and William J. Albertson, purchased the library and renovations began in early 2020.
The Albertson’s vision was to turn the library into a center for technology, education, and recruiting.
- Restored original bookshelves and refinished original floor.
- Refurbished exterior lamp posts and replaced light fixtures and handrails.
- Exterior updates including tuckpointing, replacing windows and storm windows, refinished the original exterior door and replaced the roof.
- Installed modern HVAC and communication technology.
- Added a conference room and kitchen in the lower level to help support new coworking space and tech center run by High-Tech Small Town.
The library has gained national attention and received the Richard H. Driehaus Foundation National Preservation Award, an award that celebrates the best of the best in historic preservation, adaptive reuse, and the re-imagining of historic buildings for the future.