The Central Fire Station was originally built in 1902. The main building is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. This fire station is the oldest operating fire station west of the Mississippi River. Over the course of its life, the Central Fire Station has had two additions, 1940 and 1951, and several renovations. Because of its age, space and access problems, the City of Davenport hired Bush Construction as Construction Manager to demolish the 1940s – 1950s additions, to build a 20,000 SF innovative and modern addition, as well as to renovate the 10,000 SF original historical section of this facility in accordance to historical regulations.